Install from the Google App Store
Locking the device
Find out whether your device is “managed” by using Chrome for work or Chrome for education. Managed devices are identified by the icon in the lower right corner on the login screen. If you have a managed device, it must be set up by a kiosk administrator – instructions.
To set up a kiosk on the regular ChromeOS, follow these instructions:
Setting up a kiosk to start automatically after being switching it on.
For this option, the kiosk will begin running immediately after being switching on. The procedure requires clean facilities, so unless you have new Chromebox / Chromebook, you must perform a wipe.
- Make a Powerwash of the device (Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R). Warning: this will erase all data and restart setup.
- After the reboot, set the language, keyboard, and connect to wifi.
- It is important not to sign in on the login page. Press Ctrl + Alt + K first and click Enable.
- Sign in using your Google account.
- Open Chrome
- In the address bar, type https://chrome.google.com/webstore, locate D21 and install the D21 kiosk extensions (Add to chrome) – direct link.
- In Chrome open a new tab and in the address bar, type chrome: // extensions
- Tick Developer mode
- In the list, locate the D21 Kiosk Voting App ID and copy it to the clipboard.
- Click Manage kiosk applications…
- To add a field kiosk application: Insert the application ID from the clipboard, and press Add.
- For the Item titled, “D21 Kiosk Voting App”, press Set to auto-launch.
- Optional – In the lower part you can also check the option to Permanently keep this device in kiosk mode. Check this only if you will never want to use the device for purposes other than the kiosk and you are all set with wi-fi and other connectivity to the network.
- Restart the device, and the D21 kiosk will be launched.
- After the first restart, you still need to confirm the automatic start of the kiosk.
- If you have not checked the possibility of item 12, it is possible to log in with Ctrl + Alt + S just before the start of kiosk applications.
How to add a kiosk to the main screen.
The kiosk can be started from the main screen and shut down by restarting the system.
- Log in to the owner account in chromeOS (it is the first logged-in user since the last system installation). The name is followed by (owner) in the main screen menu.
- Type https://chrome.google.com/webstore into the address bar, find d21 and install the D21 kiosk extenstion (Add to chrome) – direct link.
- Open a new tab in Chrome and type chrome://extensions into the address bar.
- Check Developer mode
- Find the D21 Kiosk Voting App and copy your ID. (ijcigbodilnggdpigbielfejkgcmfgbo)
- Choose Manage kiosk applications…
- Paste your ID to Add kiosk application, then choose Add and Done.
- Turning off the guest browsing link is recommended.
- Log out.
- You should see Apps -> D21 Kiosk Voting App button on the main screen. The app can be shut down by restarting the system.